Summer is swiftly approaching, and that means people are gearing up to take those long-awaited trips away from the chaos of everyday life.
Before you get too swept up in making itineraries and packing your things, make sure you’re also planning for your financial security! Here are a few tips that can help you ensure your summer is focused on carefree fun in the sun:
- Set up travel alerts. If you let us know when and where you’re going, we’ll know that it’s actually you making purchases! All you need to do is give us a call. That way, you won’t lose access to your credit or debit card while you’re far away from a financial center.
- Be wary of public wifi. We’ve made this recommendation before, and it still holds true today. Public networks are convenient, but they don’t encrypt your information in the same way secure networks do. If you have to log in to your accounts or pay bills while on vacation and don’t have access to secure wifi, your best course of action is to simply turn your cell phone’s wifi off and use your data instead.
- Watch out for card skimmers. Vacation spots can be easy targets for criminals who want to steal your card information. If you have to use an ATM while on vacation, try to use one that’s inside of a building. Criminals have a harder time installing skimmers with cameras watching! If you’re getting gas and need to use your card, check the card slot for any signs of tampering. You can also use your digital wallet instead of your physical card for an added layer of security!
- Carry some cash as a backup. It’s always a good idea to have multiple forms of payment on you while travelling. In the event that something does happen to any of your cards, you can hold onto whatever amount of cash you’re comfortable carrying in order to cover purchases.
- Turn on push notifications in our mobile app. You can create alerts about large withdrawals, deposits, and balance updates from any of your accounts.